Healthy eating involves thinking about what you’re putting into your body and how this will affect your overall health. Fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains are the main features of a healthy diet.
Things to include in your diet
- Eat 2 pieces of fresh fruit daily. Fruit contains many vitamins our bodies require for optimal health.
- Have a minimum of 2 cups of vegetables per day. This includes raw vegetables in salads and snacks, and cooked vegetables. The human body gets vitamins and minerals from fresh fruit and vegetables, which is why we need to consume them every day.
- Include at least one serving of whole grains every day. Whole grains contain B vitamins, protein, Magnesium and calcium, all of which are essential for energy production and overall health. They include brown rice, quinoa, oats, millet & buckwheat among others.
- Nuts and seeds. These are a valuable source of essential fatty acids, protein and fibre. A small handful each day is highly beneficial.
- Include a protein source at each meal.
- Water is also essential to health. Our bodies require a minimum of 1.5 to 2 litres of pure water every day.